In the US, advocates are urging for regulation of the chemicals use in nail salons. Nail polish, dyes and hair straighteners are not always labelled properly but the ingredients can be harmful and cause problems such as cancer, birth defects and more. Complaints of headaches, seizures and eye irritation after working a long time are common. A study showed that in some Californian salons there is a high level of toluene. Also chemicals that are banned for a long time in the States, for example methyl-methacrylate were found in some salons.
The US is hosting about 57,000 salons, employing about 375,000 nail technicians. Half of them are Vietnamese immigrants who not always speak English. As the products not always are labelled, the difference is not so important for them. It’s an honour to realise people are putting their lifes on stake to serve you!
- Groups Warn of Chemical Risks to Nail Salon Workers (webmd.com)
- 12 Things Your Nail Salon Doesn’t Want You to Know (totalbeauty.com)
- Chemicals May Raise Health Risks for Nail Salon Workers (nlm.nih.gov)
- Chemical free! Nail salons are going green (thegrio.com)
- Toxic Nails (retrohousewifegoesgreen.com)
- Gwen Stefani: Nail Salon on Saturday (justjared.buzznet.com)
- How do you paint your nails like the salon (wiki.answers.com)
- Robert Greenwald: Sick for Beauty: Protect the Health of Nail Salon Workers! (huffingtonpost.com)